Policy effective date: 22 November 2021
At Auckland Theatre Company Limited (‘Auckland Theatre Company’) and Waterfront Theatre Limited (‘ASB Waterfront Theatre’) our customers and clients are important to us. We are committed to protecting personal details securely and sensitively and in accordance with the New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 (‘Privacy Act’).
The Policy affects all people who interact with Auckland Theatre Company and ASB Waterfront Theatre in person, via our websites or social media, by email, and by phone.
For the purposes of this policy
“process” refers to the collection, storage, use and disclosure of personal information
“we”, “us” and “our” refers to both Auckland Theatre Company and ASB Waterfront Theatre. These two organisations share employees, premises and systems.
“customer”, “you”, and “your” refers to anyone who interacts with us other than in their capacity as an employee of Auckland Theatre Company or ASB Waterfront Theatre. This includes, but is not limited to, ticket buyers to performances, attendees at events, customers of our food services and clients (and their employees) who hire our premises.
“personal information” means any information about an identifiable individual.
This policy is divided into the following sections:
- How and why your personal information is collected,
- The kinds of personal information we collect and why,
- How and why we share your information,
- How you can opt out of receiving marketing information from us,
- How we secure your personal information,
- How you can access and update your personal information,
- Social media and APIs
- How to complain if you feel your privacy has been breached,
1. How and why your personal information is collected
Our business is presenting live performance and operating a venue. As part of the normal course of business we sell tickets, hire out our venue to third parties, coordinate events, operate a food and beverage service, and encourage philanthropic giving.
To facilitate these activities, we collect information from our customers. Depending on the nature of your interaction with us, the personal information you provide will be entered into our ticketing customer relationship database or our event management system. Our accounting software will also store limited personal information related to billing, payments, donations, and receipts. We use the software to accurately manage our venue bookings, ticketing, and invoicing. We maintain customer information to speed up the accuracy of processing orders.
We collect personal information when you purchase a ticket to an event at our venue or make a donation to us. You can do this by visiting;
- Our reception at Auckland Theatre Company, Balmoral, 487 Dominion Road, Mt Eden,
- Our box office at ASB Waterfront Theatre, 138 Halsey Street, Wynyard Quarter,
- Our websites (atc.co.nz and asbwaterfronttheatre.co.nz), and
- Our authorised ticketing agencies and partners.
Information is also collected when you interact with us in person or via our online apps and social media platforms, sign-up to an account and/or to receive information from us, make and manage purchases and bookings on an account, or visit our ASB Waterfront Theatre.
When we collect information from you it could be explicitly in the form of you supplying information to complete a transaction or as a background activity though our use of electronic services or web-based platforms. Further information on background activity collection methods are detailed primarily in sections 2 & 7.
To assist with the marketing of our activities; we run competitions, operate email newsletters, and make use of our websites and social media platforms to communicate with customers and promote events. We contract and partner with third parties to market, sell, and promote our performances and to communicate with our customers. How to opt out of receiving this type of information is detailed in section 4.
ASB Waterfront Theatre operates closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras. Cameras are located in easily visible positions where possible.
2. The kinds of personal information we collect and why
When you visit our websites, make a purchase, join a mailing list, enter a competition, hire our venue, or make a donation we will request information from you. Some of this information will be required in order for you to finalise your transaction. This information may include:
- Your name,
- Your postal address,
- Your email address,
- Your telephone number, and
- Other personal identifying information that will help keep your information unique.
We collect this information so we can:
- Correspond with you via digital channels about Auckland Theatre Company or ASB Waterfront Theatre,
- Send you tickets you have purchased,
- Send you a donation receipt,
- Send you information relevant to the event you are attending,
- Process your transaction under the terms of our credit card merchant agreements governing credit card transactions,
- Respond to requests or enquires you make,
- Request feedback about your experiences attending our venues and events,
- Correspond with you about a competition you have entered,
- Contact you in the event of an event change or cancellation, and
- Contact you in the event of difficulties finalising your transaction.
With your consent, we may collect health information. Unless required by applicable law, the disclosure of this information to us is not mandatory, but we recommend that you provide us with this information when it will assist us to ensure you can access our venues and attend events in a way that protects your health and safety and promotes your enjoyment. This could include information to:
- Comply with COVID-19 vaccination status requirements,
- Assist with venue accessibility,
- Accommodate guide dogs,
- Provide access to reading scripts, or
- Inform you of the use of special effects used during a performance that could affect your health or safety.
If you decline to provide personal information where it is required to complete a transaction, we may not be able to:
- Finalise your transaction, or
- Contact you in the event of performance cancellation or change.
If you wish your purchase details to remain anonymous, you are welcome to purchase tickets in person from our ASB Waterfront Theatre box office (Wynyard Quarter).
When you sign up to receive a newsletter, provided you have not opted out from receiving this information under section 4 below, we may use the information to:
- Send you information about future events and performances,
- Correspond with you about competitions,
- Request feedback from you,
- Invite you to participate in research,
- Send you fundraising information and requests,
- Send you special offers, news, and updates, and
- Send you any other communication we think will be of benefit or interest to you.
The Auckland Theatre Company website and the ASB Waterfront Theatre website web servers make a record of your visit and log the following information for anonymous, statistical purposes:
- Your unique Internet Protocol (IP) address,
- The date and time of your visit (time zone settings),
- The pages you accessed and documents you downloaded,
- The website that linked you to our website (e.g. search engine),
- The type of browser and version you are using, and any browser plugin types and versions,
- The operating system and platform you are using,
- The type of device used,
- If this is a repeat visit, and
- The amount of time you spend on our website.
If you access our sites through a location enabled device, we may collect and process real time GPS-based information about your device’s geographic location. If you do not consent to us collecting location-based information, you can disable the GPS or other location tracking functions from your device, if your device allows you to do this.
We use this information to analyse our website performance. It does not personally identify users by name, address, or link to any account you may hold with us.
We collect information both independently of and via, and share information with, data analytics service providers, to derive analytics, to help us understand how our customers and users (including you) interact with our services and our advertising, and to conduct more effective marketing.
When you visit ASB Waterfront Theatre, we may film your image on our visible, fixed CCTV cameras.
We may collect, retain, use and disclose to any person, information (including personal information) to assist in the management of the COVID-19 pandemic, including to comply with our obligations under applicable law. Please note that we may use existing information held by us to assist in the management of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Where you do not provide information requested by us for this purpose, we may not be able to provide you with our services.
3. How and why we share your information
Third party hirers (such as other arts organisations, conference organisers, concert promoters) may use our ticketing services or may use a third-party service (such as Ticketmaster or a conference organiser).
Where third-party hirers make use of our ticketing service, we will share information about customers who purchase tickets to their event with them. This enables third-party hirers to know who has attended their event. We will only share contact information for direct marketing purposes where you have given us permission to in accordance with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007.
Third party hirers may be located overseas. The most common countries international third-party hirers come from are Australia and the United Kingdom.
There are some circumstances where we may be required to share your personal information in order to operate our business including with service providers and businesses that are based overseas. This could be to contractors or service providers who:
- Assist us to send our mail/email,
- Provide us with IT services,
- Undertake data analytics for us, or
- Undertake independent research on our behalf.
When we engage such contractors or service providers, we generally require them to:
- Keep your information secure,
- Use it only for the reason it was provided,
- Handle it in accordance with our directions and applicable laws, and
- Return it to us or destroy all copies when they have finished unless they are required by applicable law to retain it.
There may be other cases where we advise you, at the time your personal information is collected, that a third party will receive the information (e.g. third parties offering goods or services through our websites, so they can process and fulfil your orders).
We may also share with certain media agencies and publishing partners such as Facebook, Google, and Twitter anonymous unique identifiers (“Hashed Data”) allocated to you. The unique identifier may be associated with information collected when you post comments on our social media platforms, visit our websites, purchase online, use our apps, or email us. This is so that we can provide you with customised content when you visit certain websites and so we can provide visitors to our websites with a customised experience.
Refer also to section 8, for descriptions of the social media features we may use on our websites to collect your information and the purposes of this collection.
Your image captured by CCTV cameras is collected for the following purposes:
- Provision of CCTV footage to law enforcement bodies when we are required to meet a legal obligation such as a subpoena;
- to undertake and assist investigations (including, but not limited to, external and internal investigations into possible criminal behaviour, employee and customer complaints, employee conduct, health and safety, and breaches of any applicable law or policies);
- to ensure the safety and security of individuals (including, but not limited to, customers, employees, and visitors); and
- to protect our equipment, assets, and critical infrastructure.
4. How you can opt out of receiving information from us
If you wish to only receive information about your ticket purchase, donation, competition entry or other transaction from us you may request that you stop receiving marketing communications from us.
To opt-out, you can;
- Telephone ATC reception on +64 9 309 0390 during normal business hours,
- Telephone ASB Waterfront Theatre box office on 0800 282 849 during box office hours,
- Email [email protected],
- By logging in to your online account and updating your details, or
- By using the ‘opt-out’ option at the bottom of our newsletters and marketing emails.
Ticket purchasers please note, we will continue to send you pre-show information relating to event/s you have purchased a ticket to. This information can include show reminders, updates, and changes to the event itself and/or relevant information we become aware of (such as a change to carpark operating hours). If you would like to also opt out of receiving information of this type, please contact the ASB Waterfront Theatre box office by phone or email at the contact details above.
You may also request that we stop sharing your information with the presenters of the shows you attend for the purposes of them sending you marketing emails. Please note, opting out does not apply retrospectively and you may also need to opt out from any third parties that you are receiving emails from.
5. How we secure your personal information
We take all reasonable steps to protect all the personal information we receive, including administrative, technical and physical measures to prevent loss, theft, and misuse as well as against unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Only authorised personnel have access to our customers’ personal information.
Information collected is stored in appropriately secure formats and systems. We take reasonable steps to ensure that your information is relevant, accurate, up-to-date, complete, and not misleading.
We aim to keep your information for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it was collected and to meet any legal or regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, or to prevent fraud or abuse.
Information that you provide to us may be stored with third party service providers (including overseas) such as Amazon Web Services.
CCTV footage is stored on our HDD DVR in our secure communications room at ASB Waterfront Theatre and kept for 42 days or until the drive is full, whichever occurs first.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please contact us immediately using the contact details provided in section 9.
6. How you can access and update your information
Under the Privacy Act, you have certain rights to request access to and correction of your personal information at any time. If you would like to access your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact information in section 9.
If you would like to update or correct your personal details, please contact us by;
- Telephoning ATC reception on +64 9 309 0390 during normal business hours,
- Telephoning ASB Waterfront Theatre box office on 0800 282 849 during box office hours,
- Emailing [email protected],
- Mail addressed to Privacy Officer, Auckland Theatre Company, PO Box 96002, Auckland 1342, or
- Logging in to your online account and updating your details.
There are some circumstances under the Privacy Act when we are not obliged to provide access to the personal information we hold. If one of these situations applies to your request, we will let you know and make note of your request for access or changes that may not be completed against the relevant information.
When you visit our websites, we may use a Cookie or other tracking technologies such as pixel tags and web beacons on your computer or device. Cookies are a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer, tablet, mobile phone, or other electronic device you use to visit our websites.
Cookies help us provide an improved and more customised service that helps you get the best out of our websites. We also use them to better understand how people use our websites by, for example, enabling us to track trends and patterns of navigation.
Cookies may be used to collect anonymised visitor activity information, manage user log-ins, and personal preferences, and provide you with relevant information or customised advertisements that may be of interest to you.
Depending on your browser, some of the Cookies we use are necessary to enable us to provide services such as selling tickets, goods, and other services.
We use “first party” Cookies (Cookies from our websites) and ‘third party” Cookies (Cookies originating from a third-party website). We use first party Cookies for storing preferences and data needed throughout your visit to our websites (managing logins, preferences, and shopping carts) and to provide you with customised advertising. We use third-party Cookies for tracking user trends and patterns with the help of third-party web statistic providers. These third-party cookies are used exclusively by us and the web statistic provider and are not shared with any other party.
Google and third party service providers
In some of our email messages, we use a “click-through URL” linked to content on our websites, or that of associated third-party service providers. When customers click one of these URLs, they pass through a separate web server before arriving at the destination page on our Site. We track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our communications. If you do not consent to us collecting information on your click-through activity, do not click text or graphic links in the email messages. We also advise customers take necessary precautions when accessing URLs in email correspondence to determine the content is from a legitimate source or website or known sender.
8. Social media and APIs
Our websites include features that are available through social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) and interactive programs. These features may collect your IP address, which pages you visit on our websites, and how long for. If you're a member of a social media site, the interfaces may allow the social media site to connect your visits to this site with other personal information. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third-party or hosted directly on our websites. Your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy notice of the third party providing it and to the maximum extent permitted by law we accept no responsibility for the actions of those third parties.
We may provide an application programming interface (API) to enable third party applications to interface with our website. Some applications enable you to interact with us through the API in a way that requires you to log in. To do this, most of these applications will direct you through a process where you are able to let the application connect to your account.
If you allow an application to connect to your account on our websites, including if you set up your account on our websites using an API with a third-party social media platform, that application will be able to access information that you can see when you are logged in to our website. You should only allow applications you trust to access your account on our websites.
If you set up your account on our websites using an API with a third-party social media platform, you also consent to us obtaining and using your information from such platform.
9. How to make a complaint
If you have any concerns about the way we have collected, stored, used, or disclosed your personal information you should write to us as soon as possible. We will endeavour to investigate and respond to you in writing within 20 working days.
Address your correspondence to:
Auckland Theatre Company and ASB Waterfront Theatre
PO Box 96002
Or by email to: [email protected].
If you are unhappy with the response you receive from us, you can lay a complaint with the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner.